Home improvement covers everything from replacing old bathroom fixtures to putting up insulation in your yard. I the summer, particularly, remodeling is very much on people’s minds. But sometimes there seem to be too many possible ideas to choose from. A number of low-cost home improvements not only make your house look better, but they help save money over time due to energy savings. Here’s a brief list of ideas to help get you started with some low-cost improvements.
1) Why not do a cosmetic makeover of your living space? Sure, it seems simple, but the psychological lift can be immense. Painting and redecorating in soothing colors can help you relax and enjoy your home more. After all, if you’re going to be in your home, you might as well enjoy it, right? Sometimes a cosmetic makeover can help you feel as if you’re in a relaxing spa.
2) Put in new insulation. Making your home well-insulated is an investment in future energy savings in the form of lower electric bills. A well insulated home keeps the cool, air conditioned air inside in the summer and keeps the warm air in in the winter.
3) Make your house “greener.” It seems that everyone is trying to save money right now, and it also seems that everyone is interested in making their lives more eco friendly. That’s why installing green technology in your home right now is very popular. Making your home greener could mean installing windmills and solar panels, or it could mean using more environmentally friendly cleaning products or replacing your old central heating and air system. Replacing incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs may seem costly, but the savings in energy bills will more than outweigh the initial cost. Windmills are fairly low tech items, and some people build their own windmills. Another great side effect of going green is that many “green” technologies like solar panels help you qualify for a sizeble tax credit. Taken together, the savings on energy bills plus the big tax break can save you big money over the long term.
4) Use a programmable thermostat. This may seem so small as to be insignificant, but it really isn’t. When you install a programmable thermostat, you’ll save money on your electric bills. You program it so that you don’t have the heating and air conditioning on all day while nobody is home. By cutting usage of the central heating and air system so that it’s just on when there are people at home, it keeps the system from running when it isn’t necessary, saving you money on electric bills.
5) Install a patio in your back yard. While this may be an expensive home improvement project (even if you’re big into DIY), it can be a very worthwhile project. By making your backyard more inviting and relaxing, you’ll spend less time having to go places for entertainment. Cookouts with neighbors can be a very fun and sociable evening. Or you could put up a telescope if you like stargazing. Sometimes a hammock is just the thing on a warm afternoon. The payback from a patio won’t necessarily be monetary, but the relaxation it can provide you and your family is priceless.
Whatever home improvement ideas you pursue, the payoff will make up for the cost eventually. Maybe these ideas aren’t your cup of tea, but there are endless home improvement ideas you can pursue.
Tired of looking at the same décor everyday? Follow these simple and useful home improvement ideas to bring about a visual change in style and impact. There is no need to splurge on expensive items to give your home a new look. Look around you and decide how you can re-arrange the furniture and introduce a few pieces from another room to create a new seating area. Browse EBay for any unusual objects or pieces of furniture which may suit your home. They generally sell used and sometimes antique furniture for a throw away price.
Spruce up your living room
Introduce the colors of spring into your living room. Give a cheery décor to the dining area and all areas that have public access. The kitchen is also a place where friends drop in to have a chat and a quick cup of tea. A fresh coat of paint makes a world of a difference to a dull drab home.
A useful home improvement idea would be to highlight one wall with a bright color. Run the same color on the cornice of your ceiling keeping the rest of the ceiling a pale color. You will be amazed to see how this brightens the room. Change the lighting and use highlighters to focus on any particular object that you would have stand out like for instance, pieces of art or architectural details. Use mood-elevating task lighting or a couple of hanging pendants over your sink or island in the kitchen. If you are using track lighting suspended from a single point on the ceiling, manipulate the direction of the curve.
Make your bedroom a haven in your home
Use these useful home improvement suggestions to make a transformation in your bedroom.
Remove all the heavy curtains and drapes and go in for a mix and match of color. Create a stunning room by using a single design with large floral prints or a theme. Cut out one of the flowers and make a frame to hang over the headboard. Use two or three of the colors on the design to sow full length curtains. The color scheme could be placed horizontally and need not be proportionate. This means that the top and bottom layer could be more than the one used in the centre or you could make the bottom layer larger than the second and use a smaller layer for the top. Use your eye to decide which would look nice. Use all of the design when making your coverlet so that it drapes all around and overhangs on the bed. Use the smaller prints on the cushion so that the whole room has a theme. Throw in a few bed side rugs, make sure the lampshade matches any one colour and voila! You have a new bedroom!
Home improvement can be really helpful for beautifying a home, but it’s also easy to get overwhelmed and to not even get started with the process. It´s true that those of us who have a true passion for interior design and doing it yourself have it much easier than those who don’t have that passion. I have outlined some home improvement ideas below to help you get started with the process. Let’s have a look at those ideas..
– Adding a leather sofa set might be one of the best things you can do when it comes to adding more comfort to your entire room and house. Guests and probably also yourself love to have it comfortable during the hours in your home. Leather sofa sets create an environment that adds more value to a community and will help your guests to feel like in their own homes. Buying a leather sofa set should depend on the overall style and design of your room. Be smart and consider sofa sets that are congruent with your room.
– Improving your own current windows might be another great idea for your home. That is especially accurate when you do have a home with windows that simply need improvement and renovation. Vinyl windows perfectly match with any room design and are the new preferred style.
– Creating a recreation room is a fantastic idea if you need more relaxation at home. In fact, if you do have kids they will certainly love to have a special place in which they can play their favorite games or activities when they get back home from school. Designing a game room is something that can happen at any given time. Here it is important to consider how old your kids are and what types of games they would like to play. Logically, the games you should add to this place mostly depend on the capability of your kids. Board games or puzzle games tend to be perfect for babies to young kids. On the other hand, PlayStation games, billiards or shuffleboard will be ideal for kids between the age of 6 to 16.
– Developing a great working environment is another important factor of your entire home environment. Think about your current working conditions of home and if you do have an office what could you improve? Also, if your kids need a quite room to do their homework it is advisable to add a comfortable office chair and an appropriate desk to your room. Make certain to get all other components such as table lamp, pens, maps etc.
The home improvement ideas from this review apply for any home, so make sure to apply them!
Here’s an interesting fact. Americans spend 60% of their time in their own home. Knowing that it’s easy to see why having a beautiful and well maintained home is so important. As the housing market stumbles, selling and moving to a new home is, in many cases, not an option. Do it yourself home improvement ideas however are a great way to make your current home into your dream home.
The great thing about this is that not only will you enjoy your home more, you will also be adding value to your property. So when the time does come to sell, you will get more for it. There is however a catch. Do the wrong improvements and you may actually decrease your property value. You can also make it more difficult to sell.
Some experts on the subject often tend to have different views as to which home improvements will cause you to lose money. Some of them include such things as laying new carpet to installing double glazing. Of course it probably depends on the carpet you pick. For instance you should probably stay away from the olive green shag. But while there is debate on the things that are wrong to do, most experts agree on the things that will bring the property value up. Some of the more frequently mentioned suggestions include the following:
You may have eclectic tastes, but not everyone else does. If you are planning to sell your home stay away from things that may be a turn off to others. If however you plan on staying there forever, or a long period of time, go for whatever you like best. Home improvement here is about making yourself happy and not about trying to make your property worth more money.
Home improvement can also mean basic repair and maintenance to your home such as fixing a leaky sink or toilet. These are the jobs that you will want to really consider doing yourself. Why should you pay someone when it will not add to the overall value of your home? Instead take a chance to learn a skill and do it yourself.
There are a variety of different ways that you can learn how to do various home improvement tasks. There are a lot of building supply stores that will either offer or give you a free leaflet that you can take home and read. There are even some bigger home improvement stores such as Lowes that will post how to videos on the internet that you can watch. These are a great wealth of information that you should really check out because they will not only tell you the materials and tools that you will need, but also how you can best carry out the plan from start to finish. This will give you the chance to build a mental picture of the finished project.
So what are the basic benefits of doing it yourself home improvement? Well actually there are several. It will be able to save you money and even in some cases may actually make you money; you will be able to maintain both the quality and the functionality of your home. Finally once you are done and you have done it successfully you can sit back and bask in the glow of a job well done.
Everybody wants a beautiful home. For most people, it is not enough to keep up with home repairs and maintenance; they want to go the extra mile. If you have money to spare you may want to renovate your home to increase its value. Home improvement can be a smart investment especially if you have good home improvement ideas like the ones below.
If you want to remodel your kitchen or bathroom it may be a good idea to let a professional do the changes. A kitchen makeover can involve installing new kitchen cabinets, a kitchen island, counters and tops, sinks, etc. When renovating your kitchen, try to imagine the best layout for your kitchen. Consider the workflow and plan where you want to locate the stove, refrigerator and sink.
A bathroom renovation is also an excellent home improvement idea. You may want to de-clutter a small bathroom to make it look bigger. A professional can suggest colors, tiles, accessories, bathroom furniture and fixtures to give your cozy bathroom a new and modern look.
Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Decorating your yard or patio is a great idea to improve your home. Outdoor furniture will help you to relax on weekends. A beautiful, landscaped yard will make your home more inviting and increase the value of your property.
Home Lighting Fixture
You can make a big difference on the way your home looks with the right home lighting fixtures. Home lighting must be suited to the room and its purpose. Kitchen lighting must be well distributed to illuminate all working areas and cabinets. A pendant light over the kitchen table or island is a good idea.
For the bathroom, you will need shadow free light. Your bedroom will require soft lighting. Other rooms will require different type of lighting fixtures. As a rule, you should buy lighting fixtures based on the location and amount of light you need in that room. In addition to cost, aesthetics and quality should also be considered as they are important factors in improving your home.
De-Cluttering Your Home
Smart home improvement ideas can help you manage clutter and keep your home neat and clean. Extra shelves and cabinets go a long way in getting clutter organized. Decorative boxes, baskets, storage bins, sorters and similar containers can hold your stuff so you know where to find everything. Get rid of clothes, magazines and other stuff that you don’t need. Remember, the first step to having a beautiful home is to make sure it’s clean and neat.
A home is a prized asset that you love and cherish for life. To make sure that your home lasts a lifetime and looks beautiful throughout, you must take good care of it. Along with the regular maintenance activities, a little bit of home improvement is also required from time to time to retain the fresh and stylish appeal of the property.
As a homeowner, you would for sure want to learn about some home improvement ideas that make your home look gorgeous and last longer, and are also easy on the pocket. Let us take a look at a few such ideas:
- Installing halogen track lighting is a great decorative option that is also very practical. The lights look classy and add to the brilliance of specific corners or areas in your home.
- You can consider getting wallpaper for your walls. If you want to add drama to a room with the least expense, go for wallpapering one wall only.
- Save on your energy bills and brighten up your rooms by replacing the old tube lights with energy-efficient and smart looking LED lamps.
- Install smartly designed closets, shelves and other storage solution. It is a great practical idea that gives you a more efficient, clean, organized and beautiful home.
- Get the plumbing of your home inspected carefully and have all the leaky, malfunctioning and worn-out fixtures replaced.
- You should also get your roof and flooring inspected to make sure that they are strong and functional enough. If required, get the essential repairs or replacement. To break the monotony and give a new look to the place, think about selecting a different style, material and color if the roof or flooring has to be changed.
- Give a new look to your kitchen and bathrooms by having new countertops, faucets and fixtures installed. You can also try to increase the storage space with smartly designed cabinets.
- You could even get your siding replaced so that the exteriors of your home get a refreshing look and remain well-protected against the extremities of nature.
If you want your home improvement features to bring about maximum increase in the beauty and functionality of your house, you should always turn to the experts. Consult with well-established home improvement professionals and utilize their expert suggestions and services to give your home the desirable facelift at the most reasonable prices. Log on to a local business directory to look up the home improvement companies offering their expert services in your area.
Home improvement is a very widespread field, with many ideas from which to choose. During the summertime, countless people think about remodeling their homes, making improvements to certain rooms of the house, but are often not sure which improvements to do. Low-cost home improvements that not only improve your home’s appearance, but also help you save money in the long run, are the hottest plans currently. I’m writing this to list these ideas and hopefully, help spark your imagination. These are the top 5 home improvement ideas for 2009:
1.) Installing “Green” Technology – Due to the need of almost everyone to save money right now, and because of the increased awareness of the need to save our environment, the top home improvement plan right now is the installing of “green” technology, also known as “going green.” This could include such installments as solar panels, power-generating windmills, environmentally-friendly cleaners, energy efficient heating and cooling system, and energy-saving light bulbs. Solar panels may be costly at first, but they will save a huge amount of money in the long run by generating your own electricity. The same goes for the energy efficient heating and cooling system – it will help you save money on your electric bills. Windmills can not only help you generate your own electricity, but they can be made with parts from the junkyard. You can’t get much cheaper than that! Also, many of these “going green” improvements will help you qualify for a tax break and help out the environment. It’s a win-win situation.
2.) Install a programmable thermostat – This may be a very simple improvement, but don’t underestimate it. Installing a programmable thermostat will help save money on your electric bills. How does it do this? Instead of having the air conditioning or the heater running all day, the pre-programmed thermostat only turns on the AC or the heat when the temperature of the house gets too hot or too cold. This keeps the central heating and cooling system from running unnecessarily and, in turn, saves you money.
3.) Re-insulate your home – Making sure your home is well insulated will also help save you money on electric bills. That is because a well-insulated home will not let out cool air in the summer, and it will not let out warm air in the winter. That also keeps hot or cold air from drafting into the house.
4.) Paint or re-decorate your living space – This may seem like a very simple improvement to your home, but it is effective. Painting your rooms and re-decorating in soothing colors and accents will help you relax and want to spend more time in your newly decorated home. Pamper yourself along with the new designs and you will feel like you are at a spa getaway.
5.) Put in a patio – This is probably the most expensive option (unless you have close friends or family who are carpenters) but it is worth the splurge. A patio or a sun deck will allow you to relax and soak up some rays in your own back yard. You can grill out with family and friends, sun bathe on a chaisse lounge, or watch the stars from your patio. The good thing about putting in a patio is that it is actually less expensive than adding a room onto your house. A patio may be a small addition, but it will more than pay for itself with all the hours of relaxation it will afford.
No matter which home improvement idea you decide to choose, the payoff will be well worth it. Even if these ideas aren’t what you are looking for, there are many other low-cost home improvement ideas. This year, less is more is the approach to home improvement, and saving money is the best thing.
Looking for some easy interior home improvement ideas that can improve the look of your home without huge expenses? We have some inexpensive ideas for you.
So you have lived in your house for a few years and its showing wear and tear. There are a lot of home improvement ideas that you can do inside your house that don’t cost much money; that’s if you do them yourself. It’s much more affordable to do what improvements you can on your own. These improvements could even improve the value of your house so it’s well worth looking into them.
Painting the inside of your house is something you can do quite easily. Matte-finished paint is extremely easy to paint with. Your local home-improvement store can fill you in on what supplies you need. It can even teach you what materials you need and the procedures you need to go through to successfully paint your inside walls. You could even learn how to do stenciling or other decorative techniques.
You can replace your old, faded curtains with bright new ones at a low cost. Hit the bargain stores for these instead of the high price stores though. Remember you are trying to keep everything as affordable as possible. You also could choose new blinds, shades or other window dressings.
Kitchen duty involves brightening up the kitchen you have. You can just replace the cabinet doors with new ones if they are too badly aged. Another way to brighten them up would be to paint them. If they have a protective finish on them it will have to be removed first through stripping or sanding. Then all you have to do is use a good quality high-gloss or satin-finish paint to lift their look. Also replace the old knobs with new ones. Don’t forget the drawers either.
Clean the Carpets
Simply shampooing the carpets will do wonders for your whole house. Carpets have a way of getting stained and grungy looking if not cleaned periodically. We walk on them all day without realizing we are grounding in dirt which dims the color of the carpet. You can rent shampooers or have it done professionally; either way is an affordable investment in your house.
Shine the Floors
If you have wood floors gently clean them and if they have a finish on them you may need to strip and redo the floors. In the event you have tile floors though examine the floors to see if there are cracked tiles the need replacing. If you can still get that same style of tile most of the time the broken ones can easily be replaced. You might want a professional for this job if you are not handy with your hands.
Basking in the Bathroom
You want to be able to enjoy your bathrooms. What is fun about looking at a bunch of worn out fixtures though? Replace these unsightly fixtures with shiny new ones. Do you have a sink, toilet or tub in dire need of attention? These too can be replaced or in some cases resurfaced. Now this might cost you a bit for the tub but a sink or toilet is not that large of an expense.
Doing the above improvements is very affordable and well worth doing for the look and value of your home.
Why the need for tricks? Well, some jobs are known to be intimidating, and downright scary. One perfect example is redoing or improving the home. The costs alone are enough to turn over to the other side of the bed, cover our heads with our pillows, and go to sleep. Then we may also have to contemplate a “not-so-great” job with it, the neighbors starting to sense something awkward, and we will be left alone to live with it. The good news is we can always do something about it. All we need are simple tricks and home improvement ideas so we can get around these concerns.
Remodeling can become an inexpensive activity that is capable of changing or improving the living conditions inside your home. Aside from that, it can also increase the livable spaces within, thereby giving you more options on what you may want to add in it. All these are possible with simple home improvement ideas. Focusing your attention on your house’s exterior is a good start. The exterior can give neighbors that impression that things are much better inside. Simple activities like putting fresh paint can do just that.
Modern times call for so many home improvement ideas. But it would be much better if you can introduce the element of affordability in it. Low-cost improvements will not only improve our homes, but it also saves you money in the long run. And this is what really matters these days, given the hardships we are in. Here are some of these great ideas.
• Introducing “Green” technology – Because everyone is now realizing the importance of taking care of our environment and this great big home that we are living in, having green technology inside your home is a trick that sets the tone for your home improvement ideas. You can put together solar panels, environment-friendly cleaners, efficient cooling and heating systems, and of course, the very dependable energy-saving light bulbs. Some of these may seem too heavy for your budget right now, but it sure will carry you in the long run. Generating your own electricity is very efficient and cost-effective; however you may want to look at it.
• Redecorating and painting your home’s living spaces – These are very simple tricks that can do so much to beautify your home. And it really works! Introducing fresh new paints to the rooms using cool and soothing colors plus the accents helps in creating a more relaxed atmosphere, making you and the rest of your family want to stay home more often.
• All effective ideas to improve your home must come in complete packages. And your home improvement activities will never be successful if you are unable to address more serious concerns, like maintenance issues, or re-insulating all corners of your home. A well-insulated home will help you save money on electric bills. You won’t need to worry about cool air leaking out during summers, or warm air during winters.
There are many more home improvement ideas and simple tricks to help you in your cause. Costs should not hinder you from improving the comfort and living space inside your home.